A few years ago I constructed a haunted house quilt. It was so much fun to sew, this year I thought I would build on the basic design and nail down a new, more detailed version. I also wanted to write and publish a pattern, since the original house was built before I was writing patterns and there was no blueprint for it.
Here is the historic haunted house:
The original structure has good bones, but like most modern homeowners, I want more amenities. So the renovated haunted house will have lots of bells and whistles. I’ve begun with improved landscaping. Here are the rough plans for the front lawn:
Next week, I should have more details to show you, including additions to the main structure 🙂 Meanwhile, here is the link to historic haunted house for sale in my shop: Haunted House Quilt
More housekeeping: here is the link to the pattern for the Easy As Pie Stroller Blanket that I promised a few weeks ago : Easy As Pie Stroller Blanket Pattern .
Yesterday I broke out a brand new fat quarter pack of 21 pieces of Riley Blake Halloween Kid’s fabric. I bought it at deep discount last spring and squirreled it away until I was in a Halloween mood. Yesterday was perfect. The kids were back to school, my day’s schedule was open to design and sew and be creative. So I pulled the pristine bow off the perfectly wrapped cotton squares and laid out all 21 pieces of fabric.
Then I hit a roadblock. Or maybe it was a mind freeze. Anyway, I hit hours of paralysis where I could not decide what to make out of this perfect fabric. A big part of me loved the fabric in its untouched rectangular state and did not want to change it by cutting it. Another, more creative part of my mind was exploding with possibilities so much so that they all jumbled together and caused dizziness along with the paralysis.
Eventually I committed to a design but the quilt did not get finished in time for this week’s blog. Here is the work in progress:
One project I did finish last week was the pattern for the Easy As Pie Stroller Blanket. It is available in the shop here.
Here I am enjoying the unusually cool Maryland summer, taking it easy with some more Easy As Pie stroller blankets. I love the name of this pattern because every time I read it I imagine a large slice of cherry pie and I can almost taste it! All the indulgence without the calories! I don’t think I’ll ever name a quilt about broccoli or Brussels sprouts.
Here is the newest Easy As Pie stroller blanket. I chose a black patterned binding because I like the contrast to the sweet pink and blue inside.
The stroller blanket is available in the shop here. The pattern is still in the works.
This week I’m still having fun designing quilts with precut fabric. My newest project is a stroller blanket with charm pack 5 inch squares and fat quarters. I decided to make the back of the quilt as special as the front, so that any way you toss the quilt in the stroller it looks great!
Here is the first stroller quilt I made. It has free motion quilting and hand sewn mitered binding. I wish I had a stroller to use as a prop for the photo, but a rocking chair had to make do.
The quilt is available in the shop here . I’m making a few more samples, then the pattern should be available in the shop in a week or two.
When I started making quilt patterns, the idea to sell kits was not far behind. I’ve been waiting for the perfect quilt to sell as a kit and here it is:
The first picture is the kit with all the parts, the second photo is the kit all bundled up to mail. The green flower in the center is a coaster, one of the little gifts I like to add to surprise the customers. ( I usually include a bookmark, but of course, being me, I got tired of making them and switched to coasters. The only problem with coasters is I’m not sure if it is obvious what they are so maybe I need to include a tag that says “coaster”?)
Back to the topic, my first quilt kit, is the star fish quilt. So now I have the quilt, the pattern, and the kit available. I hope someone besides me likes them…
Here’s how I described the kit deciding process:
love this quilt! It was such fun to design and make, I thought someone else might want to try it. Then I thought, it might be a hard for someone to gather all the little pieces for the star fish. Then came the great idea to assemble it all in a kit. I had enough fabric left over except the mermaid one, which was easy to order from my new favorite Etsy fabric store, Baileygirlsfabric.
I knew if I were buying a kit I would want everything to complete the project, including the batting layer and the back. So everything is here, except for the thread and the sewing machine. The kit is available, of course, in the shop for $42.00.